Going on a summer vacation is a great way to take a refreshing break from the hustle and bustle of routine activities. When you are totally relaxed, your brain can sometimes come up with creative solutions to difficult problems.
But what about the body? A week of resting from any type of activity will not make much of a difference to your body. However, any more than that will cause your fitness levels to plummet and within 2 months you could lose all the health benefits of regular exercise.
Here are some tips for exercising while on vacation:
- Check out the local fitness centers. If your hotel has a gym, that would be even better.This would be the easiest way to stick to your usual workout program.
- Swimming at the pool. Instead of lounging at the pool, which is a common vacation activity, you could try to jump in and swim for 5-10 minutes every hour or so.
- Explore your new surroundings on foot. Strap on a pedometer and try to get at least 10,000 steps every day.
- Learn a new sport or dance. Rock climbing, cycling, tennis, ballroom dancing and Zumbaare good examples of activities that can be a lot of fun and improve your fitness as well.
- Carry light exercise equipment. A resistance band or a jump rope can easily be packed into your luggage. You can also do some body weight exercises like push-ups, squats, and sit-ups in case you do not have access to a gym, or if the weather does not permit you to go outside.
- Participate in group activities with your loved ones. Vacations don’t have to be centered around eating and drinking. There is nothing quite like the enjoyment of participating in a team sport like touch football or volleyball or a hike with friends and family.
- Set realistic expectations. Of course, when on holiday you shouldn’t try for perfection. Expect that your fitness may slide a little bit, but not too much. Getting some amount of exercise is better than none whatsoever.
The above tips will ensure you have a great time during your vacation without compromising on your health and well being.
At North Central Surgical Center, our mission is to treat each and every one of our patients, and their families, as if they were our own family member. Each patient, each family, each and every time.