According to the results of a large-scale research study, people who do not exercise have a 500% increased risk of death as compared to those who exercised regularly. Being unfit or having poor results on a treadmill stress test is worse for your health than having diabetes, hypertension, or smoking!
In an increasingly technological world that causes people to have sedentary lifestyles, National Physical Fitness and Sports month is here encouraging you to #MoveInMay.
Staying active is the best way to improve your overall health and wellbeing. The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans suggests 30 minutes of activity for adults and 60 minutes for children at least 5 times a week. The different types of physical activity you should be engaging in include:
- Aerobic activities which make your heart beat faster improving cardiovascular fitness
- Weight-bearing activities that improve muscle strength and bone density
- Balance training to improve stability
- Stretching exercises to improve flexibility
The benefits of regular physical activity are substantial - You may be able to prevent many chronic diseases (heart disease, diabetes, etc.), keep your weight under control, relieve stress, sleep better, feel more energized, and live a longer, more productive life.
If working out in a gym is not your thing or you cannot set aside a specific period time to exercise every day, you can still improve your fitness by moving more often throughout the day. For example:
- At the office, get up every hour and walk around the floor
- Always take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Replace your coffee break with a brisk outdoor walk
- Park your car at furthermost possible spot in the parking lot
- Get off the bus or the subway one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way
- While watching TV at home, do a few push-ups or crunches during the commercial break
- Take a chance on a sport or hobby you might enjoy; like dancing, racquet ball, gardening, or simply walking in the great outdoors.
The basic idea is to sit less and move more. The sun is shining in May; it’s time to go out there and play!
At North Central Surgical Center, our mission is to treat each and every one of our patients, and their families, as if they were our own family member. Each patient, each family, each and every time