Summer vacations are nearly upon us and it will soon be time to leave behind the alarm clock, household chores, and other mundane tasks in favor some well-deserved rest and relaxation. Unfortunately, it is also a time when people are most likely to take a break from their fitness routines. But avoiding any sort of physical activity and unhealthy eating could leave you drained of energy and unhappy at the end of your vacation. So how do you stay fit and enjoy yourself while on holiday? The key is to plan an active vacation.
By staying active on vacation, you can afford to indulge your sweet tooth occasionally without gaining weight, you can explore new places, try new things, and make lasting memories.
Here’s a list of some ideas for keeping active even when away from home:
- Running: Go for a jog at sunrise before breakfast or for relaxing run after dinner. It’s a great way to stay in shape while exploring new places when on vacation. Running improves cardiovascular health and is also a great stress buster.
- Swimming: If you are planning a vacation at a beach-side location, make sure you are not just laying out on the beach. Swimming improves overall fitness, is easy on the joints, and helps keep you cool in the summer.
- Hiking: Enjoy communing with nature? Hiking and backpacking are excellent ways to immerse yourself in the wilderness experience. This outdoor workout will sculpt your leg & core muscles, activate endorphins (happiness hormones), and relax the mind. The more challenging the hiking trail, the more calories you burn.
- Sightseeing on a bicycle: Rent bikes from a local shop to have a fun outing with the entire family. Going sightseeing on a bicycle will help you get a close look historical areas or other interesting landmarks.
- Learn a new sport or hobby: Take advantage of the extra time on your hands to learn a new sport, try something new - kayaking, scuba diving or learn to dance. Apart from the feeling of accomplishment and exhilaration at learning a new skill, the physical activity will have a positive impact on your health.
Following these tips will ensure you return from your vacation well rested, re-energized, and ready to hit the ground running.