Breast cancer is the 2nd most common type of cancer diagnosed among women in the US. Fortunately, the number of deaths associated with this condition have been decreasing steadily due to the significant advances in the treatments as well as the breast cancer awareness programs that have made it possible to diagnose breast cancer at an early stage when the chances of a positive treatment outcome are the highest.
Here’s a list of breast cancer warning signs that you should not ignore:
- A thickening or lump in the breast that is noticeably different from surrounding tissue.
- Changes in the appearance, size and shape of your breast
- Dimpling of skin over your breast
- Nipple retraction or inversion
- Pitting of skin over the breast like an orange peel
- Crusting, peeling, flaking or scaling of skin in the pigmented area surrounding the nipple
- Redness or heat in an area of your breast
- Unexpected discharge from your nipple
- Skin sores over your breast
- Appearance of new veins on the surface of the breast
You may be at a higher risk for developing breast cancer if you:
- Are female
- Are above the age of 40 years
- Have a personal or family history of breast cancer
- Are obese
- Have never been pregnant or had you first child after the age of 30
- Smoke and drink alcohol
- Have had exposure to radiation therapy
You can reduce your risk of developing breast cancer to some extent by maintaining a healthy weight, exercising regularly, eating healthy, quitting smoking & drinking.
If you notice any of the warning signs, don’t be alarmed. There could be several possible explanations for your symptoms other than breast cancer. However, to be on the safe side it’s best to visit your doctor at the earliest to identify and treat the cause of your condition.
North Central Surgical Center is the premier surgical hospital in Dallas, TX. Our mission is to care for every patient and their family as if they were our own.