Snacking on unhealthy processed foods may make you feel good for a short while, but in the long run can drain your energy levels. It is always a good idea to plan out healthy snacks so you limit decision fatigue when you are out and about during the summertime. Here are 10 superfood summer snacks for your consideration.
- Watermelon: The high water content of watermelon will help prevent dehydration. It also contains lycopene which protects your skin from sun damage.
- Yogurt: A cup of yogurt is a great source of protein and probiotics. It can be easily frozen and carried with you so it remains cool until you are ready for a snack.
- Celery sticks: Ingredients in this healthy vegetable stimulate your kidneys, flushing out excess fluid waste from your body and can prevent you from feeling bloated when heading for the beach.
- Berries: Blackberries and raspberries are a great source of natural fiber and contain high amounts of Vitamin C.
- Dark green salads: Carotenoids in spinach and other dark green leafy vegetables are converted into vitamin A by your body which protects you from the harmful rays of the sun.
- Oranges: This fruit is rich in potassium which is an important micronutrient that is lost through excess sweating with fun summer activities.
- Apples: An apple a day helps keep sickness at bay. It is a great source of fiber and other important nutrients. To maximize health benefits eat apples with the skin on after thoroughly washing them.
- Nuts: Cashew nuts, peanuts, and almonds are great sources of healthy fats. Snacking on a handful of nuts throughout the day will help control your appetite and bring down bad cholesterol levels.
- Apricots: This fruit is rich in vitamin A and beta carotene which is an antioxidant that protects your body from the harmful actions of free radicals.
- Zucchini sticks: Homemade baked Zucchini sticks are an excellent healthy alternative to processed foods such as French fries. Zucchini contains the fiber pectin which improves heart health and lowers cholesterol.
At North Central Surgical Center, our mission is to treat each and every one of our patients, and their families, as if they were our own family member. Each patient, each family, each and every time.